Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Guest Blogger: Michael Dixon on Men's Fall/Winter 2011

Although much of the men’s season tends to take place before any of the women’s shows occur, men’s fashion still tends to take a backseat to the hegemony of the female centered fashion world. As much as I love women’s fashion, lately I’ve started to keep better track of the men’s shows (it only makes sense that I would want to keep on top of new ideas and trends for myself). I sincerely hope that one day men’s fashion will be regarded as equally important to the dominant women’s. Read: equality for all.


With that said, here are a few Fall/Winter 2011 favourites of mine.

Marni F/W 2011
We all know that the world is becoming increasingly complicated. My solution? Give minimalism a try. It’s definitely something I look for often in collections. This season, Marni seems to have got it right: simple, relatively clean lines, and starkly intellectual styling. I think that it’s safe to say that I would wear at least half of this collection. A leather tote? I’m willing to give it a try. The bit of colour blocking on some of the sweaters reminds me of a Prada collection seasons ago of which I was also a fan. Marni, or more specifically Consuelo Castiglioni, does casual, smart nerd well.


Sometimes a fashion show is just that: a show. Maybe that’s all it really needs to be? Although I’m not one for the attire itself, Jean Paul Gaultier brilliantly sent his models down the runway looking a tad gender neutral, at the same time contrasting what seemed to be super feminine with extremely masculine ideals. Odd proportions, no real theme, and I loved every second of it.

John Galliano F/W 2011
Speaking of shows, in a category of his own is John Galliano, who never fails to impress theatrically. The thing I love about Galliano is that his shows always tell some sort of fantastic story. And the story for this season? Well, uh, I’m not quite sure exactly. Expeditions in Old Russia perhaps? All I know is that you can count on Galliano to have shirtless men in every show (even in this Siberian lineup)- I’ll admit that that is a part I look forward to. Despite the drama, not surprisingly some of the pieces look extremely wearable, and created out of the rich textures and high quality cuts Galliano is reputed for on the ladies side of Dior.



-Michael Dixon

No comments:

Post a Comment