Friday, February 25, 2011

Colour Block Me Bold


              Vogue Italia March 1996                                                             Versace campaign 1994                                                             Chanel Winter 1995
You could say my love for fashion erupted like fireworks at a young age. Although I was oblivious to the influences of Vogue, Chanel, and Versace, I was drawn to the bright, bold, colors of the mid-nineties with just as much gusto as Lisa Frank. My most fashionable outfit, at the stylish age of eight years old, consisted of a purple and teal Northern Getaway orca whale sweatshirt paired with matching purple tights and purple Sorel boots. 


My naive nineties fashionista counterpart was revived when I saw the pink, red, orange, purple and teal color blocking introduced again in the SS 2011 season. My heart flew back to the days of '95, where I would happily pair red and pink without a second thought. The forerunners, most obvious crusaders of the reintroduction of this trend were Prada and Jil Sander in SS2011.

Prada SS2011
Jil Sander SS 2011

The trend caught my eye but I didn’t think much of it until I started to see it was becoming a staple for FW2011. Following suit in the fall season with a vigour:

Burberry Prorsum FW2011

                                                          Gucci FW2011                                                                                    Yigal Azroël FW2011                      Diane Von Furstenberg FW2011 

And then, why not, all combined at once (the eight-year-old me would create a secret handshake with the current me to celebrate these looks): 

                Jonathan Saunders FW2011                                         D&G FW2011                                                     Gucci FW2011

Alberta Ferreti FW2011

Looking back at the naivety of my youth, I once vowed to never again utter the words “purple” and “teal” or “pink” and “red” in the same sentence, let alone let them be paired in my wardrobe. And yet- how easy it is to run back into the arms of my beloved jewel tone and candy bright pairings thanks to these recent collections. Like an awakening from the old for a new season, I'm washed with nostalgia and new beginnings; now, if only I could find that whale sweatshirt...

- Kara

No comments:

Post a Comment