Tuesday, April 5, 2011

NRT: Pure in Plastic

Screws, stripes, and strategically placed tape- oh, my. While it was a winter wonderland in April outside, there was a whole topsy turvy wonderland inside of NRT's showcase of her latest designs this April 2nd.

On Saturday, Kara and I had the chance to catch NRT by Nicole Rita Tomney's showing of her new collection "Pure in Plastic" that we gave a sneak peek of at our S/S 2011 PARKSHOW on March 12th (Nicole will be formally debuting the full collection at FAT Toronto's alternative fashion week). Inspired by Lady Gaga, metal music, and dominatrix ladies, Nicole's collection of darkly dreamy dolls also reminded me of the fantastical geometric silhouettes of Tim Burton's creations (sidenote: I've been reading the exhibition book for MoMA's retrospective on the director/artist, Tim Burton by Ron Magliozzi and Jenny He).

Photo via  Litrato - Images by Bonskie Photography & Ariel Arrieta

We arrived with our friend Jennifer Lee of Pumped Shoes (which sponsored the heels in the show) to models in wig dresses- taking a cue from Gaga and Maison Martin Margiela's S/S 09 collection (and a 1960s mod design I've seen, although I can't find the reference image I'm thinking of). Starting the pre-show with some drama- I like it.

Taking over all of Belgo restaurant's downtown space, it was cool (get it?) to see the eclectic crowd of people who were willing to brave snow flurries to check out NRT's designs. Before the show started fashionable late, we caught up with local fashion/creative world friends and recent collaborators for PARK4JAPAN Ania B., Sandra Cross (who did models' eerie chic makeup), designer Shae Kearwood and stylist Jennifer Lyle, all in fine form despite braving the weather to come out. We also chatted with Alberta Fashion Week's David Politi about their awesome venue this year and we can't wait to see it come May.

And as for the designs? Something wicked this way comes...




(Note: neither Kara nor I brought the right camera- for better pictures of the designs, I recommend you check out Ania's blog or Litrano Image's photoset on facebook)

NRT's new designs meld concept with structure, and the dramatic shapes created by the pieces' exaggerated maximal/minimal elements have intriguing effects: huge shoulders bring a post-modern guerilla street war style to the 2011 runway, teeny floor-length hems on slim full body dresses draw attention to the way a model moves putting her in a world of her own. Beyond that, there were some bold but wearable items I could picture mixed up or down into looks for events or daring nights out (I've got my eye on the capes). To top it off, DJ Adrian Villanova from Paris spun a commendable mix of tunes for the show, adding to it's underground wonderland feel (I wish I could get my hands on The Killer's remix tune he played).

The overall look of the show packed a punch and I am impressed by the meticulous vision of Nicole as a young designer. In the end, I think it was fitting that the weather outside was so frightful- as the "Pure in Plastic" show proved, it's what's to be found under the spotlight inside and underground that can be delightful.

-Suzie.

No comments:

Post a Comment